They say you shouldn’t bet against the old-timer, so this is the best leg-up you could ever hope for. Golf World has confirmed that Tiger Woods, the 16-time major champion, will call it a career after the Chevron World Challenge tournament in California next month. The Chevron World Challenge, which has been co-sanctioned by the European Tour and PGA Tour since 1996, is in its 20th year. It will include $10 million in prize money, a purse that Woods hasn’t failed to win since 2002.
Tiger has announced his retirement from playing. No decision has been made on his future with @TigerWoods Foundation and @DiscoverCharity.
Statement: https://t.co/7oZ0E9ZKah pic.twitter.com/x2Vd6KF32G — PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) August 29, 2018
Woods, 41, has not played competitively since the Wyndham Championship back in August 2016. It was his last start before the birth of his fifth child, Woods said after announcing the news. He had announced a couple months earlier that he was taking the rest of the season off after back surgery. He began recuperating in September and, less than a year later, after more back surgery in April, returned to the fairways. Woods continued to play six additional tournaments in the 2018 season, finishing as low as a tie for 25th in the Quicken Loans National. He said on August 2 that he intended to play this winter.
The wait to watch Woods play is nearly over. The Chevron World Challenge is set to kick off on December 1 in San Francisco, with the knockout portion to start on December 3 and the final round set for December 9.
Read the full story at Golf World.
Terrence Sebeeny, a Nigerian tennis star, makes history at Rio Olympics