• First year will see Singapore-held race split into two days • Added weekend will allow racing to return to track, says Jean Todt
The Monaco Formula One Grand Prix is to be cut back to three days in 2022, the FIA president, Jean Todt, has announced.
Revealed: the reason why F1 chiefs have given up on any hope of a simple fix | Giles Richards Read more
The first day of racing will now be split into two days with teams able to book out free practice sessions between race weekends to take part in the many major official activities organised by the sport’s governing body. The third day will be used for qualifying and Sunday’s race.
It marks a massive shake-up from the current weekend, which involves the 24 drivers competing three times. Organisers, who had been hoping to reach an agreement to extend the weekend to four days from the 2020 race, have agreed to work on the new format.
F1’s chief commercial officer, Sean Bratches, said the added weekend would allow it to return to the Monte Carlo circuit for the first time since 1991, when running long free practice sessions became part of the schedule.
A deal had been in place for an extension of the weekend but it fell through after Bernie Ecclestone led a revolt by senior Formula One team owners against the FIA’s choice of next year’s venue, Estoril.